Santurtzi fishing port is just 15 km from Bilbao.
An old village of fishermen, sardine sellers and seafarers.
The transformation of the coast and its growth in recent years, have made Santurtzi become a city integrated into part of the Metropolis of Greater Bilbao
However, it retains its unmistakable essence and seafaring character.
It is surprising to know that the old fishing port was in front of the San Jorge church.
It was here that the boats unloaded the fish on the ramp of the old dock. The central park did not exist, only rocks visible at low tide as can be seen in the images shown in the portico of the church.
At the end of the XIX century, Bilbao and its surroundings were undergoing a big transformation: mining, industrialization, greater commerce, railways, labor movement … and of course, the Port.
Until then, the boats went up the estuary some to Abando (Bilbao), giving themselves a situation of collapse and navigation problems through the «Portugalete sand bar», a sandbar at the entrance of the estuary that made it extremely difficult for boats to pass, each time of greater draft.
This problem was partially solved with the construction of the “Muelle de Hierro”, the iron pier, in Portugalete (1881-1886) and then the Rompeolas and the beginning of the outer port at the end of the XIX century. These events were decisive in the transformation of Santurtzi and the Bay.